Â This page has been deprecated. Please refer to the documentation on restoring a project from backup, which supersedes this document.
Merging 2 jira instances together using a modified atlassian-data-utils xml parser.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This procedure worked well in our environments. Please test your merge result very good before you put it into a live environment.
!! READ THE WHOLE DOCUMENT BEFORE YOU BEGIN. THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT NOTES WRITTEN DOWN !!
- Backup xml JIRA instance A
- Backup xml JIRA instance B
Note: Both JIRA instances should have run the same version. Upgrade both instances to the version you want to have the final backup imported in. Than create the backups of both instances.
java -Xmx600m -DentityExpansionLimit=1200000 -jar saxon/saxon8.jar instanceA.xml parser.xsl targetxml=instanceB.xml > newbackup-translated.xml
Note: This process takes a while. 25 MB backup file took approx. 25 minutes.
Next, manually copy all entries from the newbackup-translated.xml file into the instanceB.xml file but keep in mind the listed exceptions below:
- The list of “SequenceValueItm” elements could not be the same as in the instanceB.xml. Copy all elements and overwrite the existing elements.
- OSPropertyEntry[@entityName=jira.properties] elements may only exist once! Either overwrite the elements in instanceB.xml with the elements in newbackup-translated.xml or simply don’t copy them.
- The most difficult task: Alter all workflows prior to coping them over. There are 3 xml values that need to be changed. For the first two elements with a number >= 10000, place “222” in front of it. For the last one the number should be > 13
- 10000Â TO 22210000
- 10010Â TO 22210010
16Â TO 22216
- OptionConfiguration –> should point to the existing Default Issue Type Scheme
- Go to “Permission Schemes” > “Default Permission Scheme” and remove all duplicate permissions
- Go to “Issue Types” > “Issue Types Scheme”-tab and remove the 2nd un-associated Issue Type Scheme from the list.
- Go to “Screens” –> Default Screen, Resolve screen e.d and clean up the duplicate Field Tab’s
- The SearchRequest elements are not copied to the newbackup-translated.xml file. The content is XML and it is too hard to change that during the copy process. Therefor all users with a custom portal page will loose their custom defined filters.